Sunday, February 21, 2010

Victory

I can't remember if I've ever been so glued to the Olympics as this time around - twenty ten. I love watching athletes from around the world compete together. I am an American and I do enjoy learning team USA has succeeded in winning a medal. Still, I can't help but be excited for any young athlete from any country who has just beat out all the other contestants with their physical & mental ability under pressure. The Japanese men's figure skating team got my attention this year. They are small men - determined. All 3 of them made mistakes - which can happen under such pressure, extreme practicing - and with our human nerves. Still - they had me standing up and cheering at their honor and dedication. One of them had his bootlace break near the end - and he was determined to finish. Each of them had such strong personal style and artistry. Takahashi (photo) took the bronze and I'm sure we will continue to see him and his team mates in future years. Everyone did their best. Several who attempted the virtuous quadruple fell - but they tried. I enjoyed watching each of them try. We've seen Plushenko several times in the last 10 or so years (those who follow world competitions for such events). He is a talented and capable athlete. Too bad he chose the low road with a mind trip after the short program and sour grapes after meriting only a silver after the long program. He did land the quad early on - he was less stable on all other landings and the rest of his loops were few and far between. He is less agile on his sit spins. He did well. I enjoyed everything about Evan's performance - his smile - that he landed each triple and double solidly. He is agile and graceful and artistic. It was a great clean performance and he was just slightly better all around than Plushenko. Not because he was an American - but just because. Plushenko chose to openly grumble about his false truth that only with a quad is a gold medal justified. Did he look at the side by side scores awarded by the judges? Are the judges mistaken ? ;-) Truth be told - I thought the handsome guy from Switzerland was going to do it. But he fell a couple of times and lost his steam about half way through. I felt bad for him. Takahashi fell - but he still got the bronze and did an exceptional job of continuing his performance. While Johnny Weir may be eccentric in his dress and mannerisms - I thoroughly enjoy watching him skate. He has a ton of style and puts his all into his skate. He's a winner in my book for being true to himself and putting himself out there. Victory can be a display of true perfection OR a display of determination and integrity. Who decides when you have won or lost?

No comments:

Post a Comment